The 2017 regatta on the Bay of Palma enjoyed the closest of finishes, this 2018 edition is shaping up for a repeat performance. Though they had their worst day of the regatta so far, returning a sixth and an eighth, Quantum Racing go into the final day of the Puerto Portals 52 SUPER SERIES Sailing Week with a lead of four points ahead of long-time adversaries, Azzurra.
Breathing down the necks of the Roemmers’ family team, Azzurra, are a posse of three crews: Luna Rossa, Platoon and Phoenix, which are all just one point behind. This regatta was close last year, two points separating the top three boats, and it is shaping up to deliver an equally close finish on Saturday on the Bay of Palma.
After a deeply frustrating couple of days, during which they seemed to attract umpires’ red flags like moths to a flame, Harm Müller-Spreer’s Platoon shrugged off their troubles and posted a really solid pair of third places, the best aggregate of the day, just when they needed it. They were even over the start line early in the first race but recovered very quickly to round the first top mark in third.
Regatta standings after seven races:
1. Quantum Racing (USA) (Doug DeVos) (2,4,2,5,2,6,8) 29 p.
2. Azzurra (ARG/ITA) (Alberto/Pablo Roemmers) (6,5,1,6,4,9,2) 33 p.
3. Luna Rossa (ITA) (Patrizio Bertelli) (7,2,6,9 Penalty 2,1,1,6) 34 p
4. Platoon (GER) (Harm Müller-Spreer) (1,10,8,2,7,3,3) 34 p.
5. Phoenix (RSA) (Hasso/Tina Plattner) (5,3,4,4,3,10,5) 34 p.
6. Alegre (USA/GBR) (Andy Soriano) (3,6,3,8,8,2,9) 39 p.
7. Sled (USA) (Takashi Okura) (8,9,5,1,10,8,1) 42 p.
8. Provezza (TUR) (Ergin Imre) (4,1,7,10,6,7,10) 45 p.
9. Onda (BRA) (Eduardo de Souza Ramos) (9,8,DNF11,3,9,4,4) 48 p.
10. Gladiator (GBR) (Tony Langley) (10,7,9,7,5,5,7) 50 p.