Not since Quantum Key West Race Week in 2014 has a 52 SUPER SERIES team opened a regatta with three back-to-back race wins, but Andy Soriano’s Alegre team matched the record of Quantum Racing today when they took both winning guns in breezy conditions at the Menorca 52 SUPER SERIES Sailing Week to complement their first day victory Tuesday.
With Ado Stead and Nic Asher combining on tactics and strategy and owner Soriano driving Alegre fast in the short, steep, awkward swell they led at every mark today and both times were overall 100 metres clear of the second boat, earning themselves a ten points lead at the top of the regatta standings.
After winning in gentle, 5-7kts airs on Tuesday, Alegre twice crossed the fleet early on the first windward legs and were never passed thereafter.
Stead who has won TP52 world titles with Rán Racing and Quantum Racing and has been on the circuits since 2006
Breezes are forecast to stay in the same range for Thursday around 15kts or perhaps a little more.
Standings after three races Menorca 52 SUPER SERIES Sailing Week
1. Alegre (GBR) (Andres Soriano) (1,1,1) 3 pts
2. Phoenix (RSA) (Toni Norris) (3,7,3) 13 pts
3. Platoon (GER) (Harm Müller-Spreer) (4,3,6) 13 pts
4. Bronenosec Gazprom (RUS) (Vladimir Liubomirov) (2,DNF14,2) 18 pts
5. Provezza (TUR) (Ergin Imre) (8,2,8) 18 pts
6. Quantum Racing (USA) (Doug DeVos) (11,4,4) 19 pts
7. Sled (USA) (Takashi Okura) (5,8,7) 20 pts
8. Interlodge (USA) (Austin Fragomen) (7,10,5) 22 pts
9. Gladiator (GBR) (Tony Langley) (6,9,9) 24 pts
10. THA72 (THA) (Tom y Kevin Whitcraft) (10,5,10) 25 pts
11. Paprec (FRA) (Jean Luc Petithugeunin) (9,6,11) 26 pts